I sometimes feel like the Cookie Monster of pizza. Pizza! I love pizza! I think I could count on two hands, the number of weeks in my life I have not had pizza. When young, it was the pepperoni pizza. As an adult, it is a bit lighter and more on the veggie side. However, sometimes, just once in a long while, I must have a hamburger and onion pizza, on thick crust, with a beer.
I was raised on pizza. In the 50’s and 60’s there were mom and pop pizza restaurants. No pizza chains. I remember one pizza place had a piano player and my dad had ordered dark beer. We certainly do remember odd things from our childhood! I do remember it was always good. Today, pizza is a very common meal served all over the world.
- Flour tortillas. I like the ones that are thicker. Diameter size is up to you. I get the medium ones because I can fit two of them on my baking stone.
- Corn Meal. To put on the baking sheet where you assemble the pizza. The tortillas slide on and off quite well. Do not try to use anything else in its place. You really must use corn meal, there is no substitution.
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil. Brush it on the flour tortilla.
- Seasonings. Any kind of Italian seasoning you like. Sprinkle it lightly over the brushed on olive oil.
- Salt. A little salt sprinkled along with the seasonings is a good thing.
- Toppings. This is where it gets good. I will list some of the toppings we like. You can use any combination you like. Make sure the meats are already cooked. The pizzas are not in the oven long enough to cook any meats to the safe temperature.
- Meats: Italian Sausage, Hamburger, Pepperoni, Chicken, Canned Chicken
- Thinly sliced veggies: tomato, purple onion, red peppers, olives, squash
- Caramelized red peppers and onions
- Cheeses: shredded mozzarella, fresh mozzarella, provolone, grated parmagiano reggiano
- Whatever you like on your pizza.
Any of the somewhat sweet White Zinfandel, White Merlot, etc.